MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's degree with major coursework in Engineering, Business, Public Administration or related field.
- Ten (10) years of full time position-related senior management and executive level experience which includes a wide range of craft/trade activities, labor relations, media and public relations, heavy maintenance practices, traffic operations, public administration and organizational management.
REQUIRED LICENSE (S):
- Must possess and maintain a current, valid California driver's license and satisfactory driving record.
- Operates District vehicles on a regular basis.
- Plans, organizes and directs the administration, operations and maintenance activities of the Bridge Division.
- Plays a leading role in the Golden Gate Bridge Security Coalition and coordinates bridge security issues with law enforcement, fire, EMS and homeland security agencies.
- Develops and presents written and oral reports and analysis on a wide variety of highly complex. issues having current and future District-wide impact.
- Acts as liaison between the Board of Directors, its committees and the Bridge Division on bridge policy, programs and related matters, and prepares detailed reports and recommendations for agenda items for presentation at Board and Committee Meetings.
- Prepares Bridge Division’s operating budget for presentation to the General Manager and Board of Directors, and recommends appropriate staffing levels and purchase of necessary equipment, materials and supplies.
- Participates directly in labor negotiations, labor relations, and labor contract administration.
- Conducts final step grievance, appeal hearings and renders final decisions to labor cases and/or disputes.
- Administers Bridge Division maintenance and procurement contracts and enforces appropriate performance and warranty provisions.
- Participates as a member of the District’s Executive Management Team (E-Team).
- Mentors and provides staff development opportunities to assigned departments.
- Develops and implements methods to bring about economic utilization of personnel and equipment while providing maximum service, and oversees the development of reports as required to monitor costs and efficiently run bridge operations.
- Plans and implements maintenance programs and projects, and prepares and/or coordinates preparation of cost estimates.
- Coordinates with the District Engineer concerning bridge-related repair, construction and maintenance.
- Assists the District's attorney when requested regarding litigation and claims resulting from traffic and other accidents on the bridge and its approaches, and on other legal issues.
- Reviews, approves and issues permits for routine and controversial or non-routine special events and expressive activities on the bridge and surrounding properties.
- Continual high-level personal contact with press and media, law enforcement, agency personnel, civic groups, members of boards and commissions to discuss and resolve problems, and with representatives of union organizations to negotiate agreements and settle labor disputes.
- Represents the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District in professional and industry associations such as AASHTO, IBTTA and others.
- May be appointed by the General Manager to act on his/her behalf.
- Ensures that appropriate safety and health policies, procedures and programs are effectively implemented, that adequate resources and priority are assigned to correcting hazardous conditions, and that applicable safety program activities are carried out.
- Regular and reliable attendance is a requirement of this position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, SKILLS:
- Principles, policies, and practices of management and administration, policy development and implementation, budget administration, supervision, training, employee and organizational development, leadership, team building, motivation and conflict resolution, business report writing, and modern office systems and business software.
- Federal, state, and local regulations and how they apply to areas of responsibility.
- Bridge and facility maintenance practices, principles of traffic management and roadway operation.
- Security and emergency response practices.
- District policies, programs, procedures, and labor agreements provisions (MOU).
- Labor relations techniques and negotiations.
Skills in or Ability to:
- Demonstrate business acumen, integrity, and good judgment.
- Interact tactfully and persuasively with others in controversial situations.
- Maintain effective professional relationships at all organizational levels, with Board of Directors, District Officers, managers, and with other agencies.
- Reason logically and creatively as well as utilize a variety of analytical techniques to resolve complex and specialized managerial issues.
- Plan, prepare, review, and present clear and concise findings and reports to Boards of Directors, District Officers, managers, staff, and the public.
- Collect, synthesize, and analyze a variety of information.
- Effectively develop and evaluate staff.
- Apply collaborative work strategies and gain the cooperation of employees at all levels of the organization.
- Create and persuasively communicate vision in the support of the District’s overall direction through excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
FAILURE TO MEET ANY OF THE REQUIREMENTS STATED BELOW
MAY RESULT IN REJECTION OF YOUR APPLICATION
TO APPLY: www.goldengate.org/jobs
Applicants must apply online by the deadline date. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
For directions and general information, visit our website www.goldengate.org.
The District’s primary and official means of application notification is via EMAIL. Thus, applicants are advised to check their email for their application status updates.
THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENT(S) MUST BE SUBMITTED AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
- GGBHTD Online Employment Application
- Resume (Scan and attach as PDF to your online application)
THE SELECTION PROCESS FOR THIS POSITION will include:
- Assessment of education, training, and experience
- Oral Panel Interview
- General Manager interview for final candidates
- Medical Examination, post offer of “conditional employment”
- Background, Employment and Security Investigation
* This position is classified as a "Safety Sensitive" and will be required to undergo Drug and Alcohol testing prior to employment and will be subject to further random urine and breath alcohol testing throughout the period of employment
**The District will invite ONLY those candidates whose qualifications MOST CLOSELY MATCH the position requirements to continue in the selection process.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation District to take all personnel actions on the basis of merit and other job-related factors, without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), disability: physical or mental, age (40 and older), genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation and identity, medical condition, political affiliation or military status.
Applicants with Disabilities: The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts to accommodate applicants with disabilities to complete the Employment Application and in any job-related examination process. If you have special needs, please call (415) 257-4521 (Human Resources). The District's telecommunications device (TDD) for Persons with Hearing Disabilities is (415) 257-4554.
Revised 03/17/2014 SS
Human Resources Administration
Human Resources Department
1011 Andersen Drive
San Rafael, CA 94901-5318