Serving the community of Truckee, California in Nevada and Placer Counties, Truckee Donner Recreation and Park District is seeking a new Recreation Superintendent to replace the successful incumbent who is retiring following many years with the District. The position offers a unique opportunity to lead an established, resourceful, and dedicated recreation department in an innovative and thriving community.
Truckee is a unique mountain community that boasts a four season climate including nearly 300 days a year of sun-shine. The approximately 17,000 residents enjoy a wide variety of outdoor activities including mountain biking, down-hill and Nordic skiing, fishing, hiking, golfing, boating, camping, and swimming. The mountain lifestyle attracts visitors year round to access the areas abundant lakes, rivers, campgrounds, and scenic vistas including the iconic Lake Tahoe. The District plays an integral part in providing outstanding recreation options to the local community and visitors alike.
Truckee Donner Recreation & Park District, winner of the 2017 California Association of Recreation and Park Districts 2017 Award of Distinction Outstanding Large District, has an amazing opportunity for the position of Recreation Superintendent. The District features a state-of-the-art Community Recreation Center and new Community Swimming Pool and Aquatic Center, Community Arts Center, 9 hole Ponderosa Golf Course, 12 acre beach facility, several parks and many public piers, bike park, skate park, rodeo arena, and disc golf. This District services a large geographic area in the Truckee Tahoe area with about 30 full time employees and 120 part time and seasonal employees in Recreation, Parks, and Administration.
The District was founded in 1962 and is governed by a publicly elected Board of Directors consisting of five members. Board meetings are held once per month.
The successful applicant for this position possesses the ability and experience to initiate and build new programs, lead a talented group of recreation coordinators, evaluate innovative programming, and plan for future growth. This position is the lead position in the recreation department and demands professionalism, leadership, a customer-centric focus, and a proactive approach to all aspects of the job. This position requires public presentations, direct communications with public and staff, and community involvement. Other qualities sought by the District include enthusiasm for recreation, a desire to work in a vibrant mountain community, demonstrable experience running/managing other similar operations, and a positive and inclusive approach to leadership. This position reports directly to the General Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, manages, and oversees the daily functions, operations, and activities of the Recreation Department.
- Manages and participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for the department; recommends within departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; recommends and administers policies and procedures.
- Develops and standardizes procedures and methods to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of assigned pro-grams; continuously monitors and evaluates service delivery methods and procedures; assesses and monitors workload, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identifies opportunities for improvement and recommends to the General Manager.
- Manages and coordinates the work plan for the assigned department; meets with staff to identify and resolve problems; assigns work activities, projects, and programs; monitors work flow; reviews and evaluates work products, methods, and procedures.
- Provides highly complex staff assistance to the General Manager; develops and reviews staff reports related to recreational activities and services; assists with reports presented to the Board of Directors and other commissions, committees, and boards; performs public relations and outreach.
- Recommends and implements goals, objectives, and practices for providing effective and efficient services.
- Manages and participates in the development and administration of the department budget; oversees the budget for the department.
- Selects, trains, motivates, and evaluates assigned personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; implements discipline and termination procedures.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate for this position exhibits professionalism and strong interpersonal skills, is an excellent communicator, leads from the front, and builds teams and fosters a system of accountability and teamwork. Candidates should be knowledgeable generalists with superior leadership and management skills and possess the highest level of personal integrity. He or she will be collaborative, innovative, energetic, accessible, experienced, knowledgeable, and financially and politically astute. A previous and proven track record of successfully engaging and advising an elected board of directors will greatly benefit the selected candidate.
In addition to the foregoing requirements, District leaders and stakeholders have identified the following additional abilities and skills that the ideal candidate will possess:
- Demonstrated fiscal and budget management experience and knowledge of program evaluation / growth strategies
- Long-term planning expertise with the ability to plan, execute, evaluate and build projects and programs
- Ability to evaluate program and staff efficiency and effectiveness with the aptitude to drive creative solutions
- A team builder, committed to developing and nurturing staff to reach their full potential
- Proactive and positive in approaching District personnel issues
Applications and Interviews
Applicants should submit resume and cover letter to Brandon Perry, HR Manager, TDRPD, 8924 Donner Pass Road, Truckee, CA 96161. Emailed resume and cover letter (preferred) may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications accepted: April 15, 2017 to May 12, 2017. Interviews will take place May 22, 2017 to May 31, 2017.